Say No to Shopping in Pyjamas!



Shopping in pyjamas - UNACCEPTABLE
Photo credit: BBC
By the way, I have finally dusted the cobwebs off my @trininista twitter handle so follow me! Link to the left!

So...after my lunch date, I idled around a bit and then got my train and decided I needed a few things at Sainsbury's. I was almost out of bagels, and it was to be a quick stop - in and out. Now, there is a phenomenon here which really gets me. It affects me deeply. It rattles me to the core as a woman, as a person, as someone who takes more than 5 minutes to fix myself before venturing out into the public domain.

Shopping in pyjamas.

As I walked through the supermarket, looking for my bagels, I walked into a woman, in full sleep wear. To make matters worse, she was wearing the awful Primark jammies I have seen on many a visit to the famed store. I could not believe it. If this was a fashion statement, it was a highly negative one. Who on earth would want to be seen in public in their pyjamas? At 5.30pm. It is both unsightly and reeks of low self esteem. Not only was she in her pyjamas, but it looked like she had literally just rolled off the bed - nasty, bed hair and a face that looked devoid of energy. And it's not just wearing say the pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt. I could maybe, depending on the bottoms, excuse this (this is a really strong maybe). But girlfriend was in the full set - pyjama bottoms, pyjama top - an awful multicoloured get up, completed by socks and slippers.

I have run out of the house in my pyjamas once - but 1) just the bottoms which are a solid black, 2) it was 9pm, 3) I wore a t-shirt and a hoodie and proper shoes. Not the full pyjama ensemble with my bunny slippers and a do-rag!

Acceptable grocery shopping fashion
I don't carrrrrrrrrrrre how tired you are, miss. You can change into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Now in Trinidad, some women take this supermarket thing to new levels. My own personal supermarket mode of dress - jeans, a baby tee, flip flops. A dab of mascara cause my mascara goes with me everywhere. But there are supermarketnistas back home who, for want of a better analogy, use the food aisles as catwalks. Heels, tight jeans, loads of makeup, blown out hair, dangly earrings. To each her own, but in my experience, the supermarket dating pool is rather bleak. The meat boys appreciate it for sure, and the hungry husbands tagging along with wifey, and granted there are the occasional single stunners, but generally - Trini supermarkets are not like the supermarkets on tv. You don't meet the man of your dreams while squeezing tomatoes or looking at bags of carrots. It just does not happen - or at least it has never happened to me. Whether I am going to the wrong Hi-Lo or at the wrong times may be up for debate, but the full fashion attack is really, in my opinion, not necessary.

This is an option if you're on the prowl
for more than bagels and pasta. lol
However, a shower, application of a toothpaste covered toothbrush to the mouth, a quick brush to the hair or a head scarf, and maybe some lip gloss if you wanna stretch it, are just essential. C'mon ladies. Pyjamas are bed wear. It is nasty to me. It means you slept all night, or did God knows what, and have come to stand next to me, with your unwashed body, touching my tomatoes. Can we make a ribbon in support of no pyjama shopping? lol.

What was even more alarming was this report by the BBC. I was innocently looking for a Google'd photo of a pyjama clad shopper to include in the post and found that this atrocious practice is widespread -so much so that the frickin' BBC has an entire article on it. And the Daily Mail! An excerpt, which was ALARMING to say the least -

A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot. Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted."
A spokesman said Tesco did not have a strict dress code but it did not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offended other customers. (BBC)

I cannot believe a supermarket had to actually waste ink to make a sign asking people to dress and wear shoes to come to the supermarket. Unreal. Please. It does offend me. It does. Don't do it. Whether it is a quick pop in for cigarettes or an hour long outing for groceries - leave the pyjamas in the bedroom and make yourself seemly. I mean, have a little consideration for your appearance and the fact that you just never know who you may meet - even doing the most random things, like squeezing tomatoes. My motto is - always try to look presentable when out. You don't have to look like a top model, but look like you care about your appearance at least. And if you need a real life account of why this is important, then let me tell you how I roll on a normal Saturday in my neighbourhood Hi-Lo back in Trinidad.

13 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one...I can't believe that women would want to be seen in their pyjamas. I get them off as soon as I leap out of bed.
    The supermarket is a day out for me so I go dressed to impress... I even had killer heels on to go to the garage last week. A woman should take pride in her appearance.
    Found you on Twitter now. Love your background picture there. Your site here is looking pretty cool now too - maybe I should update mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. I love how my Twitter page turned out as well. It took me about 2 mins to design it but it's clean, simple and me. Trying to keep up with the cybersphere in between assignments. I like your style - killer heels to go to the garage. A woman just needs to show some class when out. Period. Fullstop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also agree with you on a normal day but I will admit I just got back from a trip to Walmart in my pajamas. Now I don't usually do this. This was a one time deal and I have never gone this long without a shower and I feel natsy. My excuse is that I have a huge biology test I am studying for and I was craving Subway which is in Walmart. I am so sorry this offends you. I will try to never do this again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand the pajama-clad shopping either. Although I will sometimes run out late at night, and only when I know it's unlikely I'll be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is great!! So common unfortunately...but love the way you put it on blast! I think we ignore these kinds of things too much...thinking...that's just them. Just because people do it doesn't make it refined or acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KP, Bloom

    I think we need to embarass these pyjama offenders til they never do it again. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just assumed the women that were all dressed up were coming in from work or on their way to some function. It never occurred to me they may be trolling / baiting men.
    Ha!
    As for the women dressed in their PJs, I'm with you. For goodness sakes, if your too lazy to get dressed, stay home.
    But what about old wrinkly men dressed in brown shoes, black socks and a gold lame Speedo? Yikes!
    For that matter, have you ever received one of those “Shoppers at Wal-Mart” e-mails that are going around?....both scary and hysterical at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah...the People of Walmart website is an absolute riot. Well, more like a train wreck that you just can't tear your eyes away from. I pray I am NEVER that bad of a fashion victim!

    I can't imagine leaving the house in my PJ's. Except to look for a missing dog in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep ... I agree entirely ... just weird.

    Visiting from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, I agree! In the states we have Wal-Mart. You've probably heard of it. It does have very low prices, but it seems to bring out the worst in people. Pajamas are a regular wardrobe staple at Wal-Mart. It drives me nuts!

    Found you on SITS -- congratulations on the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classy! This post made me giggle because yesterday afternoon as I was walking into my local bakery a woman strolled out wearing a pastel pink dressing gown (robe)with giant hot pink stars all over it, paired with black South Park slippers.

    Some people have absolutely no shame!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you 100% PJs are for home. And I can't imagine who does not wear shoes outside. That is just nasty.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, but not your rubbish or it will get trashed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger
 
Life in Heels and Flip Flops © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects