|No Men Allowed - 40 Day Rule!|
Let's talk about two "significant" observances. Firstly, Valentine's Day. Though it has come and gone (thankfully), I feel I must state my annoyance with this day and how it tends to isolate single people. As if planning a vacation as a single person is not bad enough, with their lack of specials for single travellers, thus forcing one to pay for that useless double occupancy special offer, the annual promotion of love, and sweet nothingness can also be a real ball buster.
Then there's Lent. As you should know, Lent is that period observed by many Christian denominations as a time for prayer and fasting, leading up to Good Friday. A lot of the die-hards fast from meat, and/or all animal products. Others give up vices such as alcohol - I tend to give up alcohol though I seem to have fallen off the Lenten wagon, and again, this is part of my lack of focus so far for the year. Other vices listed by friends include
- Chocolate - how is this ever a vice??
- The internet - good luck with that Facebook stalkers
- Mobile/smartphones - a direct follow on from the above. Good luck Whatsappers and Instagrammers
- Cussing - road ragers will be fun to watch with this one
And then one bright girlfriend decided that the only way to really purge her soul was to give up men for the 40-day fasting period. Men.
- Men - definitely in the "vice" category; maddening and often toxic; at the same time, can be almost (almost) as good as chocolate (but always a bridesmaid, never a bride)
Her fast will cover abstinence from male admirers, dates, including group dates, flirting, Facebook stalking.
What do you think? Do you think she will be saved??