The Day Before December

December approacheth...
I cannot believe we are closing in on the end of 2012 already. With the last day of November coming to a close, and with bad memories thanks to JC Penney and their crap service, I look towards December with a mixture of hope and intense dread.

December is my birthday month, to start, and who does not like their birthday? Sure, there will be the nosy relatives who will remind me that I am one year older and still unmarried and childless, and that irritates me to no end. Still, it's my birthday so I always aim to make it a happy time, always grateful for making it to another year when so many people have not.

There are all these Christmas events I find myself having to go to - like children's parties (shoot me now) and hob nobbing events, which require dresses and self-restraint at all levels. Thankfully dresses are out of the way this time around but the events are still there and I will try my darndest to avoid half, if not all of them.

Christmas. Ugh. Even in searching for a Google image for December,all the images were of Santa, or some reindeer or an elf or some shit. I am trying to be a good soldier with the Christmas thing. I actually looked at...wait for it...Christmas trees today. I feel like I owe it to my nephew to make Christmas bright and happy, especially as my brother will not be home for Christmas. So I saw this little tree -a few feet high - and considered buying it and some decorations so we could have some fun putting that together and make some memories. I will get the tree next weekend when I go back.

But Christmas can be annoying and it can also be very lonely and it's a big MEH for me. I don't look forward to it. It's one of those holidays that seems to isolate single people, or people without kids. It's just another day for me and until such time as that changes, these day before December posts will be pretty much in this tone and with these sentiments.

Santa can go bite himself!

6 comments:

  1. First of all...kudos for being a good aunt :) As someone who faced many single Christmases I feel for you. Even now being married but without children I do sometimes feel like there's nothing to talk about if you don't have children to buy for. Last year hubby and I gave money/gifts to charities and people who really deserved something. It brought things into perspective for me and helped me to enjoy the season more. Oh and for the relatives who feel the need to discuss your single status - you tell them that you're waiting for someone to come along who is as fabulous as you are. Until then, you're too busy living your amazing life to give it much thought. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne. I always make up a hamper of goodies for the kids' home. I actually look forward to that. Hope you and hubby have a wonderful holiday season as well.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. In a way I wish it were over already. But it is not all bad. I bet doing the tree with your nephew will end up being one of you fondest memories. Last year I did not put up a tree, for the first time ever and I was completely ok with that. I do try to focus on what I like about the holiday and what will create fond memories. This year I invited my brother and his new wife over for Christmas Eve. I'm also looking forward to the Christmas prank I play on my mom (a tradition my dad started) I'm also thinking of taking my mom to see the Nutcracker. Every year we say we'll go so it's about time we actually went.

    Know that you are not alone though. The holidays are hard on many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Christmas was so joyous. Hmmmm... okay when was that?...um, like when I hadn't gotten into my teens. That was a long, long, long time ago. Now, I'm all stressed. In part because I try to be the good soldier and "do right" by the wee ones and the senior citizens in the family. I think what really bugs me is the fact that Christmas seems to start so early. The carols are going and the stores are decorated by November. It's like, "I'm not ready yet! Geez!" (sigh) I know how you feel, although I actually don't feel lonely. I relish the quiet time. Maybe I'm just too old for all the hooplah. But that doesn't make me a grinch. P.S. Although I'm not necessarily a holidays person, I'm a birthdays person -- so remind me as we swing into December about your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're having a tough time with the Christmas thing.

    This is my favorite time of year. I love the traditions and the treats and the lights and decorations. I think it's so much fun. Christmas DAY is a different story, but I love the weeks leading up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, Trinni. *HUGS* I know what you mean. I mean, I have always LOVED Christmas, but it's changed over the years. Somehow I feel as though unless kids are involved it's always a "blink and you missed it" kind of holiday with a lot of hype.

    And yay for a birthday :) Any fun plans?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, but not your rubbish or it will get trashed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger
 
Life in Heels and Flip Flops © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects