Offloading the Wagonists

On or off the wagon?
Happy New Year everyone and wishing you an excellent 2013. Now as I said, while I do not make hard and fast resolutions, each year I try to cleanse my life, in much the same way like I am presently detoxing my body of all the nasty (albeit yummy) stuff I put into it over the holidays.

One of those toxins - the bandwagonist!

A bandwagonist, or wagonist, is

...someone who mindlessly goes along with an action or idea, without any real reason, other than other people are doing it.

It can also refer to a person who tends to not really be committed to something or someone as the case may be, and gets on and off that wagon when it suits them.

As per the second definition, there are lots of them out there in real life. People who flip flop, or who align themselves to something or someone when they damn well feel like it.

For example, while I took a mini hiatus from the gym for the holidays (bad, bad, bad idea, friends), I am one of a small and loyal group of pre-dawn gymophiles - always in the gym before 5am and not for any reason but it's part of my routine (whether I look like Jane Fonda or not). Here comes Carnival season and now I am going to have to contend with the once-a-year fitness buffs - all those men and women who want to work miracles with their 1-packs and glutes so they can fit into skimpy costumes in less than a month's time. Fighting for equipment, showers etc. After Carnival, they're gone until next year around this time.

Gym wagonists.

But that is tolerable in the greater scheme of things. However, the ones who "commit" themselves to you as  a friend, or whatever, when they feel like it; when it suits them; when they are single; when nothing else is going on in their lives; when they need money; when they need a shoulder; when you can offer them something; and then when things get great - when they are living well; eating well; when they find that girl or guy, they jump off the friend wagon.

Friend wagonists.

Those are the worst kind, and I am locking the wagon so they don't get back on to inflict their flip-floppiness on my life. It's just too tiring at this point.


4 comments:

  1. I read your title as Offloading the Wagonistas. lol.

    Good luck! I've had to lock the wagon myself towards a few "friends" and "family." It's hard, but life is too short to not have *real* friends!!

    RE: Thomas Hardy...I definitely will read more by him! I can't believe I'd never heard of him until now! Was I living under a rock!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumble across your blog, couldn't agree more about off loading the free loaders. Its a new year so I am lightening my load, or getting a smaller wagon or something. Anyway Happy New Year to you, and great blog you have here. BTW I live in Caribbean also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so much catching up to do at your blog; I've missed you, sweet Trinni!

    I know what you mean. The herd that flocks to the gym around the New Year always makes me crazy (we don't have Carnival here, but it's always busy around the summer, too).

    Hope you are doing well with your detox. New season; I am feeling up for a cleanse myself. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes. The friend wagonists. I usually cut them off at the first sign once I sense they've done me wrong. I'm just too old to put up with that stuff. Actually, I've never really put up with that stuff. Probably the reason why from childhood to my current day of adulthood, I've had only a few friends. Works for me. I agree, lock the wagon so they don't get back on!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, but not your rubbish or it will get trashed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger
 
Life in Heels and Flip Flops © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects