Rainy Day and Movies That Make Me Cry

View from my bedroom window
It looks like summer is really over here. The weather continues to not disappoint. That's right - not disappoint. When you think of London, you don't think of sun and women in cut off jeans, do you? You think of grey and rain and trust me, this week - London't got it! I had planned on taking another trip to another part of the city I had not been to before, but the weather is not encouraging. I hate rain on a good day in Trinidad. What about London rain is endearing? Nothing.

But rainy days can be the best times for snuggling up on the couch or in bed with a great movie. That's when rain becomes great. Thanks to the Bug, I decided to post 8 of the movies which make me cry. I get emotionally invested in a good movie with great performances and these movies - no matter how many times I watch them and I have seen them all more than 5 times - always make me bawl. So in no particular order.

This movie had an entire post dedicated to it because it was that emotional. I love a dog movie but Hachi: A Dog's Story is the King of dog movies and tear jerking emotions.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009)

Staying on the canine theme, I went to see Marley and Me with a guy I was seeing. I thought to myself, the movie is about a "bad" dog. No tears. I was wrong. At the end, I was a hot mess, with my perfect makeup a streaming mess. I waited until the cinema was clear before leaving and being a dog lover as well, my date understood. lol. My mascara application did not!

Marley and Me (2008)

Sean Penn won an Oscar for Best Actor for his performance in Mystic River and the scene where he learns his daughter is dead never fails to make me cry - it is so powerful. The entire movie is simply amazing and while Clint Eastwood may not be the blond Adonis he was back in the day, he sure can direct a movie!

Mystic River (2003)

Russell Crowe is one of my favourite actors and when I first saw A Beautiful Mind, the twist shocked me. What makes this movie sad for me, is that intellectual brilliance was mirrored by mental instability. The paradox made for something truly emotional and made me sad on a basic human level.

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

A man slipped into a catatonic state as a child, missing decades of his life, until a doctor tried something new which brought him "back to life" as a man. The simple joy of taking a walk, something many of us take for granted, made him happy. And then, it was all taken away again. Robert de Niro and Robin Williams, in one of his rare non-comedic performances, are truly exceptional. I cry every single time I watch Awakenings.

Awakenings (1990)

He may be pretty but the boy can act as well, and Brad Pitt was really great in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I don't need to explain how emotional this movie is. It just is.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)


Steel Magnolias is a great movie about women, friendships and family, with stunning performances, especially from Sally Field. Such a touching story.

Steel Magnolias (1989)

Finally, Beaches. I first saw this movie as part of a high school class trip to the cinema. It was already an old movie by then (yeah, we were not always progressive...lol) and we (Trini students in general) had sung Wind Beneath my Wings at many a graduation  by then. But this was the movie that gave us the song and the enduring story of friendship despite all odds, and is one I can relate to so many years later. You only understand how powerful the song is in that classic scene at the end.



Geez. I cried just watching that!

There are many more, but these were the 8 that came to mind first. What are your sobfest movies?

1 comment:

  1. Forrest Gump is at the top of my list for movies that make me cry!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, but not your rubbish or it will get trashed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger
 
Life in Heels and Flip Flops © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects